Staff Spotlight: James Robe
If you join the Trail CATS on a Saturday workday, walk around an event like the Prescribed Fire Fest, or pop in to Bell Creek’s office for a moment there’s a good chance you’ll run into James Robe. As a Trailblazer subscriber, you already know James - he’s likely written some of your favorite pieces. In the two years James has been with our department he’s added an immense amount of value to some of our biggest programs, so let’s take a moment to better meet an old friend.
Before joining us, James was in the Florida Conservation Corps, through Americorps. He was an “ANT,” not the insect but an “AmeriCorps Nonnative plant Terminator.” Pretty nifty job title, right?
“ANT members are basically full-time spray techs; you spend most of your time surveying for and treating invasive exotic plants. It was a crash course in identifying plants, as well as understanding the landscape. I spent several hundred hours just surveying state land, planning herbicide treatments, and twice as much time lugging equipment around to get the job done.”
When asked what else other than plant knowledge and certifications (including his certifications to work on prescribed burns) he gained with the Conservation Corps, James said this:
“I was able to work with a lot of great specialists, land managers, biologists, wildland firefighters, techs, and rangers. People often ask where I went to school for environmental lands management, but I didn’t; much of my knowledge came from that experience.”
James Robe joined the Conservation and Environmental Lands Management Department (CELM) as an Environmental Lands Management Technician by title, but his job is much more complicated than that.
“Techs are typically boots on the ground generalist, but as a member of the outreach team, I work mostly coordinating volunteers, writing, planning events, and representing the department of Conservation and Environmental Lands Management.”
When James talked about coordinating volunteers (who we love, by the way), he generally means the Trail CATS, for which he is the staff facilitator. The Trail CATS is a large team of volunteers who primarily assist CELM with maintaining and inspecting trails on the nature preserves. They also help with special events, such as leading hikes for the Hillsborough County Hiking Spree, manning information booths at festivals, and participating in restorative plantings. James onboards new members, works with managers to select sites for workdays, moves supplies to sites, and overall makes those events happen.
“It’s an awesome group of naturalists, hikers, and generally awesome people, and I can’t express enough how lucky I am to work with them. If anyone’s reading this and likes to walk or hike our properties, consider joining us on a Second Saturday Workday!”
Aside form working with the Trail CATS, James says his favorite part of the job is the constant exposure to naturalists and specialists.
“I get to meet hundreds of new volunteers, staff, and academics each year through my job, and I learn something from each one. This is a niche industry, so a lot of knowledge is tied up in people’s heads.”
While that’s the good part of working with CELM, it of course has its challenges. James says one of the biggest ones he faces is in regard to resources.
“I’ve got great support from my supervisor (hey Alison!) and CELM staff, but the division of Environmental Lands Management isn’t exactly dripping with staff and liquid cash. If I need heavy equipment, training, or expertise at a location, I have to work with the limited resources we all share.”
Those challenges don’t make the effort not worth the work, however. James has so far enjoyed his time with CELM and offers some sage, and often repeated, advice for anyone interested in working for the department or in natural resources as a career – even if that’s not your background.
There can be a lot of discouraging factors in this line of work. It is impossible to overstate the losses nature has suffered, and the longer you work in this field your estimation of those losses will only grow. Don’t let the mistakes of the past and the present trick you into thinking the work you do doesn’t matter. Environmental Lands Management is working for the future. Several of our most beautiful properties were fallow fields, or shell mining pits, or phosphate mining sites; some of the newer acquisitions still are, but they won’t be forever. Keep learning, stay hydrated, and wear the recommended personal protective equipment.”
Speaking of beautiful properties, James says one of his favorites is Cockroach Bay,
“Cockroach Bay Nature Preserve lives rent free in my head. I could wax poetic about all the human and natural history of the area, as well as its importance in the ELAPP program, but I think I’ve gone on long enough about that in my writing for the Trailblazer. Just, check it out! It’s a cool place.”
When James is not birding on the hiking trails, pontificating on the wonder of the preserves, and helping the Trail CATS, he’s got a lot to love at home with his pet rabbits, garden, lovely partner Meagan (who he met at FLCC), and a hobby that might surprise you:
“As a recovering software engineer, I spend too many hours a week installing different Linux distros on my many, many outdated computers.”
When asked about the future, James says that despite the promises of the information age, people are as isolated as ever. His goal is to focus on the spaces which he has influence over and trying to make those as accessible and positive as he can.
“If someone wants to volunteer, work, or just know how their public lands are doing, I want to make those barriers as low as possible. Everyone deserves to have a connection to nature.”
Lastly, if there was one thing James wished the community knew about what he does, it would be this:
“I would like everyone to know that what we do at CELM, as a public entity, is only made possible through themselves. Know that you matter, and whenever possible, plant Florida friendly yards.”




