Staff Spotlight: Travis Parker
Even if you go hiking, riding, bird watching or kayaking in our nature preserves regularly, you may not ever get a chance to talk to our staff. Just under 50 staff members manage Hillsborough County's over 64,000 acres of nature preserves, which are quite spread out. We want to give you this opportunity to meet and learn about the people who work hard to keep the County's nature preserves healthy. Our staff do everything from mowing and fence construction to prescribed fire, invasive species removal, ecological restoration, guided programs and more!
This month we asked Travis Parker, an Environmental Technician at Bell Creek Nature Preserve, to give us some insight into his position and what conservation means to him. Here's what he had to share with us!
Travis joined Hillsborough County's Conservation and Environmental Lands Management Department on May 11, 2020, as an Environmental Technician. Previously he worked for the City of Greensborough and Gilford County in North Carolina in Parks & Recreation.
How did you get into this field?
I wanted to preserve and protect the few lands that
Hillsborough County has left due to overdevelopment.
What’s your favorite part of the job?
I like to participate in prescribed fire burning because
not only is it exhilarating, but it also helps the ecosystem and prevents
wildfires.
How do you see the department evolving?
I see the department imparting environmental conservation
knowledge to the public through programs and outreach.
What is the biggest challenge you face at work?
The work can sometimes be overwhelming due to the amount of
acreage that has been acquired in ratio to the number of staff members who help
manage them. I am still optimistic that department goals can be met and that the department will continue to grow and thrive.
What are some of your hobbies outside of work?
I enjoy drawing, writing, watching movies, being outdoors at the
beach, fishing and hiking.
What is your favorite ELAPP property or preserve?
I think Triple Creek has very beautiful landscape that includes a crystal clear pond.
Any advice for new or future employees?
There are three positions open right now. Apply today! I’d
love to have you on my team!