Staff Spotlight: Ross Dickerson

Staff Spotlight: Ross Dickerson, Section Manager 
(Environmental Lands Acquisition and Protection Program)
Even if you go hiking, riding, bird watching or kayaking in our nature preserves all the time, you may not get a chance to talk to our staff too often. Just under 50 staff manage Hillsborough County's over 64,000 acres of nature preserves, so they're pretty spread out. We want to give you this opportunity to meet and learn about the people who work hard to keep the County's nature preserves in good shape. Our staff do everything from mowing and fence construction to prescribed fire, invasive species removal, ecological restoration, guided programs and more! 

This month, we asked Ross Dickerson to give us a little insight into his position and what conservation means to him. Here's what he had to share with us!

How did you get into this field?
This is a long story, so I will give the quick version. 
The first part of my childhood I grew up in Nassau County, which is not too far from NY City.  It was mostly a concrete jungle and we did not spend much time at parks or preserves.  The only vegetated area that I remember was the sump “water retention area” across the street from our house.  
When I was six, we moved out the the end of Long Island to a small town named Cutchogue, NY.  I was instantly immersed in nature and I found myself wanting to play in the forest.  I built forts, captured salamanders and bullfrogs (and let them go), snorkeled for clams, scallops, and crabs, and just always felt connected.  This carried on through my teenage years.  Once I got to college, I knew that I wanted to learn about the environment and be in a career that protected land and provided recreation so that people could find that same connection that I did.  

What's your favorite part of your job?  

My favorite part of the job is the nomination and approval process.  During this time, we get to go out and see the nominated sites, rank their environmental qualities, and present them to the different committees for approval.   
 

How do you see the department evolving? What are some changes you've witnessed with ELAPP over the years?  
With the new leadership in Conservation Parks, I see the department evolving into a cohesive unit rather than Conservation Parks and Environmental Lands Management or as some like to say “the other side of the department”. While Conservation Parks have more amenities and visitors, they also have large areas of habitat that should be managed like the preserves. And, while the preserves don’t have as many amenities as parks, there are ways they could be improved to be more inviting to people that might have the urge to get off the paved trail and into the wilderness, but don’t feel very safe on a trail. We are currently working on a new CELM Academy that will provide staff with training and knowledge of all aspects of the department.  

ELAPP has grown exponentially over the past ten years. We’ve acquired tens of thousands of acres and doubled in the number of staff. When I stated, we didn’t have money or equipment to manage the preserves properly, but with persistence, and support from leadership, executive staff, and the BOCC, we now have restoration funding, equipment, and staff to do a better job. 



What's the biggest challenge you face at work?
The biggest challenge that I face at work is educating people on why preservation is important not only for wildlife, but for our overall well-being.  Over the past several years we have been building a case for nature by quantifying ecosystem services and showing people how conservation lands provide value through carbon sequestration, water retention, aquifer recharge, and the production of oxygen.   


What are some of your hobbies outside of work?
My hobbies outside of work are whatever my kids are doing.  Between sports and dance, they keep me very busy.  If I do get some time to myself, I like to take hikes on the preserves with my dog, Bella. I don’t get very many opportunities to see our great sites during the work week, and if I do, it is not a relaxing visit.  Taking a leisurely hike helps me clear my head and reinforce why I chose this career path. 


Do you have a favorite ELAPP property or Preserve? 
I have a favorite preserve in each part of the county. If I’m looking to hike in the northwest, I usually visit Cypress Creek Preserve.  In the northeast, Blackwater creek is my escape.  Central Hillsborough is Golden Aster Scrub. And,  if I’m looking for a great hike down south, I usually go to Cockroach Creek.   

Any advice for new or future employees? 
The best advice I can give to our new or future employees is to be humble, learn as much as you can, and work as hard as you can in the position that you are in. I am proud to say that I started in an entry level, temporary Environmental Technician 1 position on  the Cockroach Bay Spray Crew and learned all aspects of our job as I moved up over the years.  Taking the time in each position to listen, learn, and grow will benefit you in our program, or wherever your talents may take you.   

Thank you, Ross, for all you do for our public lands!

Popular posts from this blog

Top shaded hikes in Hillsborough County

5 Tips for a Bug-Free Hike!

Announcing the NEW Hillsborough FL Nature Tours App!

Rebirth of Cockroach Bay

The Ninth Annual Hiking Spree is Here!

Magnificent Manatees

Apollo Beach Nature Preserve re-opening September 9th

Adventure Awaits on the Hiking Spree

Pebble Park Coming Soon in Riverview

Your Backyard Nature Preserve