Staff Spotlight: Richard White
Meet the amazing, dedicated staff who help to keep our nature preserves healthy, clean, and accessible!
Even if you go hiking, riding, bird watching or kayaking in our nature preserves all the time, you may not get a chance to talk to our staff too often. Just under 50 staff manage Hillsborough County's over 68,000 acres of nature preserves, so they're pretty spread out. We want to give you this opportunity to meet and learn about the people who work hard to keep the County's nature preserves in good shape. Our staff do everything from mowing and fence construction to prescribed fire, invasive species removal, ecological restoration, guided programs and more!
This month, we asked Richard White to give us a little insight into his position and what conservation means to him. Mr. White was born and raised in Hillsborough County and has worked for Hillsborough County for almost 50 years, initially joining the Parks and Recreation Department in 1969. He's been with the Environmental Lands Acquisition and Protection Program for 26 of those years. Richard's commitment to conservation and his enthusiasm to share his knowledge and skills with new staff has been an enormous asset to those who have worked closely with him.
You can find him singing along to his favorite local radio station (WMNF) en route to a field assignment, punctuated with stories of Hillsborough County's history and transformation over the years. Here's what he had to share with us!
How did you get into this field?
I started in Parks and Recreation because it was a good part-time job, working in Recreation areas. After graduating from Hillsborough High School, I went to St. Pete Junior College and The University of South Florida, then ended up staying with Recreation and doing it for a long time.
I was already interested in the field; I hiked and backpacked a lot over the years, did cross-country skiing and things like that. So being outside was something that I always preferred and working in Recreation, I was always outside as it is. But I was ready for a change at 48 years of age. There was a position open with ELAPP – ELAPP was in the same department as Parks and Recreation – so I applied for the job, got it, and have been happy being here, doing this kind of work, ever since.
What's your favorite part of your job?
My favorite part of the job is doing Prescribed burning because it’s the most beneficial to management of natural lands. I am a Florida Certified Prescribed Burn Manager, which I enjoy doing, although it is sometimes challenging – when you are just participating in a burn as a crew member, you take sort of a different attitude vs. when you're actually managing a burn. As a Burn Manager, you have to take responsibility for everything so sometimes it is more fun to just participate in the burn as opposed to managing the operation. But I enjoy managing too, because you’re affecting the change in a positive way.
How do you see the department evolving? What are some changes you've witnessed with ELAPP over the years?
Well, when I did start in ELAPP there were only seven employees, so we’ve grown exponentially in terms of personnel, equipment, and of course the amount of land we’ve been able to purchase and are managing now.
The biggest challenge I’ve faced at work is I’ve aged (laughs). Keeping up with the demands of the job including, for me, the whole digital age and working with computers has probably been my personal biggest challenge.
I do prefer to be outside – my whole life has been spent outside, ever since childhood. I have had an indoor job in the past, but never really took to it. I’d rather just be in the field, enjoying what I’m doing.
What are some of your hobbies outside of work?
I enjoy spending time with my family, especially my granddaughter, Kylie – before COVID, of course. She’s pretty important to me.
Interviewer: “Aw, you should send her the article when we post it.”
Mr. White: “Nah, I don’t want to embarrass her.”
Do you have a favorite ELAPP property or Preserve?
Bell Creek, for some reason, I’ve always had a bit of an attachment to. I did live here a site security resident for about a year. But as they say – it’s all good.
Any advice for new or future employees?
I’d say keep your head up, try to do the right thing, and keep movin’ on.
Thank you, Richard, for all you do for our public lands!
