Meet the amazing, dedicated staff who help to keep our nature preserves healthy, clean, and accessible!
Even if you go hiking, riding, bird watching or kayaking in our nature preserves all the time, you may not get a chance to talk to our staff too often. Just under 50 staff manage Hillsborough County's over 63,000 acres of nature preserves, so they're pretty spread out. We want to give you this opportunity to meet and learn about the people who work hard to keep the County's nature preserves in good shape. Our staff do everything from mowing, trash pickup, and fence construction to prescribed fire, invasive species removal, ecological restoration, guided programs and more! This month, we asked Tamara to give us a little insight into her position and what conservation means to her. Here's what she had to share!
How did you get into this field?
Growing up I always loved spending my time outside weather it was helping my dad in the yard or playing. When I got out of high school, my dad got a job as a Park Ranger with National Park Service and that’s what really sparked my interest in working for the Environment/Conservation. I knew that I wanted to get into that same career path but didn’t know where to get started. My dad was working in West Virginia at the New River Gorge at the time and heard about the Citizens Conservation Corps of West Virginia and told me about it. I applied and got an interview and that’s where I first got started. I worked with them for two seasons working on projects for the New River National Gorge area. We did landscape projects, building restoration (paint crew), and volunteered with the Biologist there to help with data collection. I then got started in conservation side when I worked at Colt Creek State Park in Florida as an part-time Park Ranger on a spray crew. I learned what different invasive plant species were, what chemicals to use, how much, and spraying techniques. It wasn’t until I got my current job with the County that it really sparked my interest in land management and how spraying, burning, and other restoration practices and projects all come together in restoring Florida natural habitat.

What’s your favorite part of your job?My favorite thing about my job is having the opportunity to grow and learn. I came to the county with some basic skills and spray experience. I have been here four years and I have learned how to operate tractors with implements, prescribed burning, fixing fence, chain sawing, trimming trails, planting projects and have added on to my spray experience. I love how there is something different and new to learn each day. I have an awesome supervisor that has taught me a lot so far.
What’s the biggest challenge you face at work?
My biggest challenge is the everyday obstacles I run into. Whether I’m out spraying invasive, tractor work, chain sawing, trimming trails, or working on a prescribed burn there is always something that pops up or just happens that you have taken in the situation and figure out a solution to. I can be out spraying and my pump stops working suddenly, I must stop and figure out what the problem is and how can I fix it. I can be out with tractor mowing or putting in a fire lane and there is a tree down on the trail I must check out the situation to see if I can push it with tractor or if we need to cut it with a chain saw first and then push it. Every day is different and always has a different challenge depending on what job you are doing.
What are some of your hobbies outside of work?
I don’t have a lot of hobbies but when I get the chance I still love going on hikes and camping. I also love to read mostly fiction. Lately I’ve been spending time with my three month old nephew. I love hanging out and watching movies with my boyfriend and playing with our dog Abby.
Thank you, Tamara, for all you do for our public lands!